Monday, March 04, 2013

fun friends

When we left Massachusetts almost exactly 3 years ago, I wondered if Grace would be able to find friends here like she had there.  She had these sweet little boys who were genuine and true friends to her and she was so hurt to leave them.  Valentine's day still kind of gives me a case of PTSD.  That was the day I picked her up from her last day of school in Stow and had to carry her sobbing soul out of her first grade classroom.  I'm so grateful to be able to look back after 3 years and realize that she has been able to replicate the same kinds of friendships here.  

One of those great friends is Dallin.  He and Grace are just 2 peas in a pod.  I will often pull up to the school to work in the library when she is still out at recess.  You can bet that if you look out at the soccer field, you will see Dallin and Grace (if they aren't playing,) walking side-by-side, their hands shoved into their pockets, making laps around the field, deep in conversation.  They will talk for hours about nothing and everything.  Even though they are on the brink of awkward boy/girl relationships, they still seem to maintain this easy friendship and haven't noticed things like how "cute" the other one is yet.  This is the thread I cling to.

A few weeks ago, Dallin called our house to ask if he and his Grandpa could come and pick up Grace and go for ice cream.  (In a parallel universe, this might be considered her first date, but, thankfully, it was very benign and innocent.)  Dallin's Grandpa (Papa Sego) is cut from a similar mold as Grace's own Grandpa Lyle.  Among his many hobbies and pass-times, he collects cars.  Fast cars.  Mostly Mustang Cobras.  Could they pick up Grace in one?  Are you kidding?  Is the sky in Albuquerque blue?  

Long story short:  darling friends, super cool car, pretty rad Grandpa:



1 comment:

Jess & Jessica said...

I love this story and the friendship these two sweet cute kids have. I love the innocents of a child and that Grace was blessed to find a great friend.