Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Dear Grace, you're 10!


It's time for your birthday letter (weird that it is kind of public, but when I started these, the blog wasn't so public.  Maybe when you are a bit older, I'll have to write them on paper for you.)

I have been saying that you are 10 for a few weeks now.  Dad doesn't like it because he doesn't want you to grow up any faster than you already are.  Well, frankly neither do I.  I love watching you learn and grow, but stop doing it so fast already!  I have to remind myself what your turning 10 really means.  You are the age I was when I moved from Wyoming to Utah, and I felt pretty old then and I vividly remember it.  It's a little scary for me that you are the same age.

Mostly, time is playing tricks on your mom.  On one hand, I can't believe I've been a mom for a decade.  Yes, you made me a mom.  I can't believe you have been on the planet for a whole decade either.  Then, at the same time, I don't know how the planet lived without you before you arrived.  It's kind of weird to try to remember life before Grace came along.  You have definitely rocked my world and that of so many others.  I can't believe how lucky I am to have a daughter like you.

You are so different from other kids.  I have always felt like you were my little friend.  Even when you were a baby and a toddler, you had a maturity about you that made me want to hang out with you.  You are so interested in life and nature and animals and science and learning about the world.  I always wanted to spend time with you and take you with me and be in your life.  It's the reason I quit working and just can't seem to figure out a way to make myself go back to a life where I might miss something you do.  I'm not talking about those weird mom/daughter relationships when the mom wants to be her kid's friend because she wants to act like a cool teenager and be a kid again.  I just think you have always been my equal, or more often surpassed it, as a human being.  You are so incredibly intelligent and thoughtful. You seem to understand things far beyond your immediate surroundings and experiences.  You're just, well, cool!

As always, I can't wait to see what you choose to do with life and at the same time wish I could freeze you and keep you like this forever.  I am going to soak up every ounce of 10-year-old Grace that I can.  If I kiss you 6 or 12 times every morning at the bus stop, well, too bad because I love every molecule of you to bits.  10 is a great age to be.  You can do so much and know so much, but you also have so many opportunities and experiences to go.  I guess that can be said at any age, but 10 is pretty awesome.

I love you Grace and I hope that you have a very Happy Birthday.  I know we already did a lot of celebrating last weekend at the ski resort with our family and the climbing gym with your friends and at home with some more family.  I'm sorry you have to trudge through the school day on your real birthday and do things like homework and lessons and go to bed on time.  I know things like that bum you out.  But, just remember how much you are loved, and how much everyone you see all day (plus countless others in faraway places) is glad that you were born 10 years ago.

Happy Birthday Grace!
Love,
Mom

No comments: