Saturday, July 14, 2012

Geeks R Us

I signed up the girls for science camp this summer.  Let's be clear, "Camp Invention."  After the week was over, I am left wondering how much "science" really went on, and how much was more creative inventing and brainstorming and crafting with unattractive materials.  The first two are both parts of the overall scientific process for sure, but I was kind of hoping for some more hard-core science learning.  I guess you have to start somewhere.  Either way you look at it - this was the geekiest bunch I have ever met.  Also, any way you look at it, the girls were totally excited to go every day and had a blast.  How much of that had to do with the daily, lengthy, water fights with the teachers, I'm unwilling to consider.

One fun thing they did to engage the kids each day was to have them dress up for some purpose or another.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

Time Travel day:  dress up as a character from another century
 (Sacajawea and Leonardo Da Vinci)

Alien Day:  take me to your leader

Again, I'm not totally sure what they did every day for 7 hours, but on the last day they invited the parents to come to a showcase of inventions.  Here's what my kids made:

 water balloon popper

 magnet creations



 kept track of everything in their log books, just like good little scientists

 designed city blocks (best part - we got to take these HOME!  sweet.)

 paper boats

 jet pack


cardboard robot


oh you little nerds...  you better make this pay off in your AP classes in high school.

No comments: