I don't know why I keep writing you birthday letters on the blog, but I guess it's as good a place as any. I just want you to know how lucky I feel to be your mom. See, you think your birthday is all your day, the IGH - International Grace Holiday, but it's kind of my mom day too.
I am so proud of the things you have done this past year. I know a lot of it is in this blog already. These are some of the things that have made me proud and have impressed me about you:
*You have really grown up a lot this school year. I can't believe how independent you have become, especially with things like getting yourself ready for school, doing your homework, making your bed, and helping me with different things. I have been very grateful that all I have to do is ask you to please do these things and you do them. It has given me the time I need to help Harriet do the same things. It is awesome that you just do them on your own now.
*I am so glad that you are back to being a mostly happy student. I was so worried about you during 2nd grade, but you have come a long way and I love seeing you eager to go to school, happy about your school work, and excited about learning again.
*Even though you and Harriet don't get along all the time, I love that you have taken a genuine interest in her and that you have tried to be a good big sister to her this year, that you look out for her, help her, are kind to her, sit with her on the bus, and support her in the things she likes to do.
*Your last birthday was your important 8th birthday when you got baptized. Over the last year, I have been so glad that you take the things at church seriously and that you do it mostly on your own. I love that you volunteer to do things at church, that you read your scriptures, that you love to go to activity days, and that you have found some dresses that you actually don't mind wearing. You are a good kid and I hope you always stay a good kid.
*I love the friends that you choose for yourself. For now, there is no reason for me to suggest for you to be friends with anyone or to steer you away from anyone you like. You choose kids who are calm, kind, smart, polite, and fun to be around. I hope you always choose friends like this who appreciate your true self and who help you to be the great person that you are.
*I love that you still like me. How long will this last before you are embarrassed by me or think I'm totally lame? I hope it never happens, but if it does (especially in middle school), I will understand. I am so grateful that I still get to hug and kiss you - even at the bus stop in front of your friends. I love that you get excited when I come to your school and don't wish that I wouldn't come.
*I love that you like my music and prefer it to what is currently popular most of the time. I am sorry if this makes you unpopular at some point though. Until you decide differently, thanks for enjoying music with me.
Grace, you are just a way cool kid. I really love you and I hope that you have a really fantastic 9th birthday today. I can't wait to watch you test for your Orange Sash in karate tonight! That will be a great birthday present. You have definitely earned it and waited a long time for it.
Love Always,
Mommy

No comments:
Post a Comment