Atlantic
Pacific
Yes, that's right, we dipped our toes in BOTH oceans this summer! A short 4 days after landing home from Boston, we set out on a road trip with Daddy to California. He had to do some training there for work, and since we have family in San Diego, it was a good chance to make a family trip out of it. Who cares that we've already been gone almost the whole summer, right? There's one week left, might as well use that one too.
I didn't intend to really spend tons of time at amusement parks and such. I had envisioned spending much more time at the beach and hanging out. But, it was COLD and overcast most of the time we were there. Why am I always wishing for more sweaters on summer vacation? So, we found this great deal where you can buy a 5 day pass and come and go as you please to Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, and The Safari Park for seriously cheap. Grace wants to do LegoLand too? Sure, why not. Might as well go while she loves Legos. Long story short - we spent every single day minus Sunday and travel days going to theme parks! I'm exhausted. I got sick and came home with absolutely no voice.
Here's a little photo tour of our week at the parks:
LEGOLAND:
was not cheap and not as awesome as we were hoping. But, I'm glad we went this year. It is really designed for little kids and the fun factor will decrease exponentially with time.
Ahh... there is no sweeter success than getting to the front of a line at a theme park for the ride you've decided you must try.
Spent 2 days at Sea World:
Sea turtles... these were some of Harriet's favorites.
Slug Bug Shamu! Grace has been playing the slug bug game heavily for about the past 6 months. Harriet has been trying, but for a very long time couldn't figure out how to tell if a car was a slug bug. She finally figured it out while we were on the trip, so the slug bugs were flying (as well as the focus pocus game I made up when we rented a Ford Focus in New England.) Weren't we delighted to find this awesome slug bug at Sea World! We took a picture and texted a slug bug to daddy.
Then, we went to the zoo.
More turtles.
Pandas! I have been to the San Diego Zoo before, but I didn't get to see the pandas. They have a brand new panda exhibit that makes it much easier for the crowds to move through and see them. You have to be silent to walk past. We learned that pandas eat 84 pounds of bamboo a day. That's one reason most zoos can't have them. The San Diego Zoo grows a lot of its own bamboo for the pandas. They were pretty amazing to watch and see in person.
There are too many animal sculptures in the zoo. I spent more time taking pictures of the kids on the statues than I did looking at animals, it seemed.
Lion love? Just a nibble on the ear... then, yep, a good nature lesson for all.
Little seals.
Sky tram bucket ride.
Safari Park. This one was highly recommended, but we found it to be much less exciting than the zoo. We hiked about 20 minutes to see the tiger enclosure. We did see one tiger - a great find for Grace. He was far away, so we paid to use the telescope which did make it much better. Still, he wasn't close enough for a picture.
We took the safari tram around to see all the savanna animals. It is pretty cool to see the giraffes just milling about in a huge (hundreds of acres) park.
Grace is always very compassionate when it comes to animals. This guy was molting and couldn't fly to get the nectar. So she took it to him and let him drink the last of it.
One more carousel ride!
Torrey Pines Beach:
Dessert at a swank spot in La Jolla Cove
(chilly!) afternoon at Pacific Beach with Jeremiah, Wendy, and Clare
Our hotel-snob, David, moved us to the fancy Marriott the last day of our hotel stay. The girls had a great time living like queens in the ginormous pool and staying on the concierge level where everything was quite posh. We do get some perks out of having Daddy gone half of every month.
A quick shopping trip to Horton Plaza turned into a long game of giant checkers and an attempt at chess.
And, we decided that we should really take our little rocker, Grace, to lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. It's so 1990's to eat here, but it was some good nostalgia. I've always liked Hard Rock. Grace thought that this guitar shaped like an ax from KISS was way too cool.
A quick stop in Old Town. Didn't see the historic sites, but we went to the candy store twice and spent at least 50 bucks there. Who says we don't have priorities?
And a farewell to the San Diego beaches - a stop at La Jolla Cove to see the sea lions. Yes, the white on the rocks is bird poop.
A final farewell card game with Jeremiah...
We have traveled A LOT this summer. We have seen so many places and done so many things as a family. It actually doesn't stop here either. I've got one more trip to blog about for the summer. I am mostly grateful for this incredible time with my kids. What we lacked in seeing friends and playing at home was made up a thousand times with the family time we've had. We have seen every single cousin on BOTH sides of the family (minus one lovely Chapman girl), all aunts and uncles, and all grandparents this summer!
I am so grateful that I got to have my kids all to myself for the entire summer. We weren't distracted by anything or anyone. I literally spent night and day with them for weeks on end, especially as we stayed in places where we all slept in the same room. (no, this wasn't ALWAYS pleasant to be together all the time.) But, now that they are BOTH in school ALL day long, it means a lot that we had this time together. The girls also became really good friends by the end of the summer. Yes, they are still fighting, but they are enjoying being together much more than they were in June and are more willing to do things together. Even though it was exhausting and a little out of control, I'm so glad we packed up and left and didn't come back until the day before school started.





















3 comments:
3 words for you- LONGEST BLOG EVER!! Bet you feel better getting that out of your camera and memory.
Cute pictures!! Rah rah rah!
David is a hotel snob? I didn't know that about him. What else don't I know?
Bryan
Post a Comment