Wednesday, May 26, 2010

what we've been up to

(Grace and Hattie sitting on a really cool tiled chair at the zoo during Grace's 1st grade field-trip.)

I feel like we haven't said much about the daily comings and goings for a while. We seem to keep pretty busy. Here are some updates from youngest to oldest:

Harriet: is liking her dance class, but is a bit of a reluctant performer. She's a little shy and reserved, but when she lets herself go, she has a blast. Her first recital will be this Saturday. We'll be sure to post about that. She has enjoyed lots of time at home with mommy, going on lots of outings and shopping, and is my best helper. She folds laundry, unloads the dishwasher, makes her bed... She's loving her new swing-set that we got with the help of some birthday money from Grandma.
Hattie is currently on a play-date with Abby down the street. They play quite a bit during the day and it's nice to be able to go back and forth between the houses. Hattie took her other birthday money and bought a Cinderella princess dress complete with "glass" slippers that light up. She wears it several times a week and is counting down the days to when we go to Disneyland to meet all the princesses!

Grace: has 2 more days of 1st grade after today. She has loved first grade, but unlike her kindergarten year, she is excited for the last day of school and the beginning of summer. She misses her old class, but has learned to like her new class too. Hopefully, she won't get off the bus in tears like she did on the last day of kindergarten. She ran the 50 yd dash and did the softball throw in the regional school track and field meet last week. She was pretty pumped about doing it and can't stop talking about it or wearing the t-shirt.
Grace has been keeping in touch with friends in MA by virtual play-dates on the computer and phone as well as post cards and e-mail. She has a friend, Lizzie, who's mom hosts a basketball club for the girls and teaches them how to play, so she's been loving that. She's still doing karate twice a week and getting ready to test for her first belt (gold sash) in Chinese Kenpo. Her instructor, Mr. Kao, has graciously let her wear her kung fu blue belt this whole time instead of making her go back to the white belt.
We are really proud of Grace. She has once again saved up her money for a long time to buy something she really wanted. She bought her first guitar a few weeks ago and paid for most of it herself. She took one private starter lesson and learned the strings, a little fingering, and a couple of songs. She will take a summer session of group guitar lessons and then we'll look into permanent private lessons after that.

Michelle: Did I mention I'm loving the sun? I'm sure that's getting boring for people to hear, but I seriously can't get over how much I love it. I am also loving sitting outside on the front porch in the evening with a book while the kids ride bikes. Last night we ate on the back patio in the cool shade with not a single bug to bug us. It was heaven. I knew I wasn't making up how much I missed being able to do that when we lived in New England. I really missed being able to go outside in the evening and linger until the sun went down.
I found a book club almost right away after moving here, so I've been reading a lot. For the first time in the 10 years I've gone to book clubs, I'm finishing the books every single month! (does that have something to do with not working?) I've also been reading a lot about Henry Eyring (the chemist) lately. He is so interesting and has so many good things to say about the world and life and how to explain it all. I've made quite a few friends here and spend quite a bit of time getting to know them as well as keeping in touch with old friends in MA and in SLC. I'm also getting excited to join David in Hawaii when he goes there for work next month. I'm a little nervous to leave the girls and go so far away, but it will be great to get away with David.

David: has been doing lots of cycling lately. He rides to work whenever he can. It's an hour commute (18.something miles each way) with some pretty big climbs both ways. He's planning to ride in a 100 mile bike tour of ABQ next weekend. Crazy dude. He seems to like his new job (especially his every other Friday off) and has been traveling a lot with it too. I'm trying to think of all the places he's gone since we moved here. I know he's been to LA a couple of times, New England, San Diego, He's going to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and then Hawaii 2 days after that.
What else does Daddy do? Well, his chore list has shrunk quite a bit since moving. Our yard here takes about 15 minutes to do on Saturday morning and then he's home free. He definitely isn't missing the 2 hours of mowing and the endless upkeep of the huge yard and old house that we used to have. Our new house is treating us pretty well. There are lots of things we COULD do to it, but nothing that has to get done anytime soon, so we're kicking back and relaxing for now. He did take the girls camping a couple weekends ago and they all had a blast. Did they take any pictures? Not that I have seen.

Well, that's us in a nutshell for the last several weeks. Time to go outside and enjoy my 87 degree day with no wind!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love that update. Sounds like you guys are doing well. We are enjoying 90 degree weather today. Not sure what tomorrow will bring. I am still so jealous how close you are to Utah. But I am also happy for you as well. I am glad we have kept in touch.

Barnhisel Blog said...

Love Grace's guitar and Hattie's glass slippers. Too fun! Can't wait for June21st!! Really, I can't wait. Did I mention, I seriously can't wait. Hope they haven't hauled me off to the nut house before then. Come now!!