It's no secret that I quite literally worship the sunshine. Living here in NM is awesome for that. The sunrises over the mountains every morning are always gorgeous and we have a great view through our big upstairs windows. The sunsets reflect off of the sandy stucco colors of the houses and make everything glow and look warm. Someone told me the sun shines brighter here than even in Arizona. Fine by me. Arizona is too hot anyway. Whatever the case, I have so much more motivation during the day when the sun is out. But, what I didn't know, is that our funny Velvet dog is also a sun-worshipper. She's always liked to lie around in the yard in a sunny place, and she used to enjoy her bed underneath the only sunny window in our house in MA. But here, she's taken it to a new level.
As soon as Velvet wakes up in the morning, she finds a spot of Eastern sun, somewhere near the stairs or on the landing. As the sun is gradually blocked by the house, she moves from window to window until all the sunny spots of warm carpet are gone. Then, she goes outside and basks in it for as long as I'll let her stay in the yard. She's even been caught sleeping on the gravel with the sun beating down on her, getting warm from top and bottom. I think Velvet and I are more closely related to reptiles since we seriously take on lizard form and warm ourselves and absorb energy however we can all day.
(favorite spot on the stair landing)
(in the girls' room this morning)
(sometimes you just need to warm your nose and your toes)
(sometimes you stay until the last sliver is gone)
(then you go outside for the real thing and some good Vitamin D)

4 comments:
I started sneezing when I saw those pictures. Just so you know.
BW
You crack me up. An entire post on doggies laying in the sun? Really? LOVE IT!
Ahhh... I'm so glad that Velvet is enjoying the sun! It make me happy to know that she (and you!) are enjoying your new SUNNY life!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I worship the sun as well. And like you, I'm more efficient when the sun is out. Like butterflies and turtles, I need to bask in sun to get energy and mobility.
I also do sometimes what Velvet does- move with the sun that's coming through the window. I think a day with Velvet would suit me just fine.
Love, love, love your family picture above. You're all so good looking.
Misses and hugs,
Annelie
Post a Comment