Wednesday, May 13, 2009

snakes and (bugs) and puppy dog tails...

No, we're not announcing a baby boy. I have 2 little girls who care more about the snake in the garden than they do about sugar, spice or anything "nice."

This is just a bunch of random stuff rattling around in my brain, but the first thing is that I NEVER thought I would welcome a snake into my yard as much as I did this one. I don't hate snakes and I don't run screaming, but I don't love them either. I could never watch "Snakes on a Plane", I'd have nightmares forever. Still, after the INUNDATION with black flies and now mosquitoes in our yard, the snake was a welcome, quiet, and unbothersome guest.

I am really about to lose it with these black flies. I don't even remember them being here the first 2 years we lived here. (I think the first year I didn't go outside in my yard because I was always at the barn during the day in the spring, and the second year, I just seriously didn't leave my house for a whole year with baby Hattie.) The third year, last spring, I did notice the flies. I didn't know what they were, but one day I took Harriet outside and she just started crying for no reason. I could see little flies buzzing around, but in my experience, little flies are usually harmless. (I would run from a giant horse fly though.) I took Hattie inside and to my horror found about 12 blood-red bites all over her body. The flies had gone inside her clothes and bitten her all over. They do draw blood and leave a blood blister that develops into a huge lumpy red welt with a crusty sore. I called the doctor and they said she'd be fine. Great. After a few days, I didn't see anymore flies. The neighbors said that once the dragon flies come out, they eat the black flies and it's over in a week. Ok, I could deal with that.

THIS spring, oh my gosh, these flies have been here over a month. They are vicious. They are repelled by nothing. We have had weeks of absolutely gorgeous weather and I've stayed inside almost the whole time. EVERY time I go outside - even just to get in the car, one of us is bitten. Harriet's entire hairline on her head is so covered by fly bites that it has made her lymph nodes swell up into huge marbles all over her neck. It's disgusting! I used to think the mosquitoes were bad. Well, at least you can wear OFF for them and swat at them! Dragon flies where ARE you?

So, a little, cute, non-poisonous snake who actually might EAT some of these bugs? You are welcome at my house! That's the other thing, in 4 years, I have NEVER seen a snake in my yard. When we moved here, I thought for sure there would be snakes all over with all of the water around. My neighbor who has lived here for 50 years said she's never had a snake in her yard until this spring? What is UP with the animals this spring? Global warming? Armageddon? I am at war, that's for sure.

The snake has wandered off now, but he stayed in one spot in our garden for a couple of days. The girls went outside to check on him (her?) often. Grace named it "Garter of the Garden" or "Guarder of the Garden." We're sure it was eating some of our froggies and hopefully some mice. We hope it didn't eat "Peeper", a frog who also resides in our rock wall.

Onto the puppy dog part. Today is May 13th. Grace has decided to officially name May 13th "Pet Day." She has planned a celebration for days to have with her dogs. She is so funny about stuff like this. It started when we were talking about Mother's Day and thought that pets need a special day too (I'm sure someone has come up with some lame day where you're supposed to shop at PetSmart for an official Pet Day, but I don't know when that is.)

So, Happy Pet Day to all. Give your doggie or kittie or whatever you keep in a cage an extra treat today and play with them more than normal.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Tell Hattie that I feel her pain from those DARN flies -- yuk! I have bites all over my head and neck. I think they are finally starting to die down over here, but of course... we now have the mosquitos!

And tell Grace that we sure are glad we have a pet now so that we can celebrate Pet Day too -- great idea! :)

Chrispy Critter said...

Yuck a mucka!

Shawn said...

I must live in another state than you two, because we don't have ANY flies here! ??? Aydan and the kids even went out and played for about two hours on Sunday late afternoon, but they got no fly bites...

Weird! Or maybe you guys from Utah have sweeter blood? heh, heh.