Sunday, February 01, 2009

All the nerds in the house stand up...

Everyone knows that David and I are nerds. We loved school, we love science, we are good at math (well, some of us USED to be good at math.) But, I think the people who appreciate my nerdiness the most are my former Chemistry students. My nerdiness validates theirs. (I'm a normal person, right?) A very few of them are now my friends.

My friend Adrienne has always been a person I admired. I have admired her since I first met her as a high school student. If she reads this I know she'll be totally embarrassed, but that's what happens when you make friends with your teacher! She was (is) a model student. She plunged into the work, retried everything until it was perfect, and never failed to ace every single test or task that was given her. I have her handwriting emblazoned in my memory. It was flawless, a work of art. I could have used her tests for a key to grade the rest. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that either. She confessed the other day that she and another star student took on the task of teaching one of the most difficult subjects in AP chemistry to the class when I was on maternity leave and the sub had no idea where to begin. (I still feel guilty that she got "the bum" year of my teaching for her AP class. I did not do a very good job that year with my pregnancy.) Not only is Adrienne a stellar student, but she is also a great person. I remember thinking she was so on top of her game in every way in high school. She was not only good at academics, but she played sports, had lots of friends, and had her head on straight.

Adrienne is in her last year at the University of Utah. She majored in chemistry. (what else?) She says she did it because of me. I actually feel bad sometimes that she has subjected herself to one of the toughest majors possible for a pre-med student at the U. I am in awe though. Her knowledge and ability in chemistry surpassed mine a long time ago. She is now in the process of applying to medical school and has received invitations to interview at every top school to which she applied. She's interviewing at Yale tomorrow (decided she was too good for Harvard :-) )

Why do I tell all of this story? I don't know really. She has become a significant part of my life in recent months as we have communicated frequently and spent some quality time together. I think it might also be because on some level I am really proud of Adrienne. Saying I'm proud of her makes it feel like I'm taking a little of the credit for what she has done. But, she is so phenomenal, I don't think any credit is due me since she would have been totally incredible with or without me as her teacher. So I don't know what the right word is. Still, it's flattering to think that she was my student and I might have influenced her in some way. I'm so excited that she calls me her friend now. She has forced me to become better at texting and reminds me of the things I used to be good at and care about.

She was in Boston last week interviewing at Boston University. She forged through a really terrible storm after the interview to come and see me. I picked up a wet and frozen girl from the commuter train station and we had a fantastic night together. We ate at a quaint little grille in Concord, drove around to see some of the historic sites, and came back to my house for a quick "meet the family."

We thankfully remembered to take a picture of us together (although I wish we had remembered in Concord.) David suggested taking one in front of my periodic table that still hangs in the playroom. I thought that sounded the nerdiest of all, but it is definitely fitting.

So, I guess I write all this to say "THANKS" to Adrienne for being my friend, making me feel like I might have made a difference in someone's life, and for loving to be a nerd with me. I selfishly hope that she accepts an invitation to do med school here in Boston.

No comments: