Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Pea in the Pod

(I changed the title of this post after my sister, Melissa, called me and said "I saw your pea in your pod." It's much more fitting...)Well, I'm a big blabber mouth and some people already know this, but I think it's time to make an official announcement. I'm pregnant! Yep, we're on our way to having a 3rd child.

I had a positive pregnancy test a little more than 2 weeks ago. We've been trying since last summer, so it was exciting news. I immediately called the doctor to get things rolling and I was really surprised when they asked me to come in for an ultrasound in one week. I was expecting the old "well, let's schedule you to see the nurse in a few weeks and the doctor a few weeks after that." I was supposed to be 7 weeks pregnant for the first ultrasound, but after looking at the structures, they thought I was only maybe 5 weeks. That was last Tuesday. So, they asked me to come in AGAIN in a week. I went this morning for my second.
Today, the baby structure was more visible and you could clearly see a heart beating on the screen. It was really cool. You really couldn't see much of anything else, but the heart was totally there. They said you shouldn't be able to detect a heart beat until 7 weeks, but everything measured 6 weeks and 4 days. I'm blown away that you can get that accurate about it. The heartbeat was slow, but they said since it shouldn't even have a heart beat yet, they don't know what that means - probably that it's just an early heart beat. SO, I have to go in AGAIN for ANOTHER ultrasound next week! I'm floored. I have never heard of anyone having 3 ultrasounds before they were even 8 weeks pregnant (unless they were doing in-vitro kinds of stuff.) I'm hoping that they're doing all of this just because they want to get a really accurate due date. Considering my history of having pre-term labor and early babies and now it's my 3rd and I'm no spring chicken anymore, I'm thinking they just want to be sure about counting the weeks. When you get to the end, every day counts if you're facing a premie. I'm also really hoping my 100% maternity coverage on my health insurance holds true!

So, as of today, I have a due date of September 18th. This means I'll probably have a baby on the first day of school. (how convenient. NOT.)

I have gone back and forth about announcing this on the blog and really spreading the word. I know lots of people who wait until the 3rd or 4th month just to be safe and be sure that a miscarriage isn't in the cards. With Grace and Hattie I got so sick so fast that there was no way to hide a pregnancy for more than a day. I had to tell everyone why I was absolutely no good for anything and heading to the bathroom every 20 minutes. But, with this one, I haven't been sick yet. I know - that may or may not be a good sign. (maybe it's a boy?) Still, I want to tell everyone because no matter the outcome, this is a part of my life right now. I am pregnant and I do feel like crap (even though I haven't thrown up yet.) I'm not really worried - just unsure. It was comforting to see the heartbeat today, and comforting to know it was early - a sign of strength? But, also disconcerting that it was a low rate. Who knows what it all means. You can make yourself crazy with all the what if's and possible scenarios. Every doctor's visit can send your mind on a rollercoaster of thoughts and I have spent more than my fair share of time doing that with past pregnancies. For now, I'm just living in the moment and happy to be carrying a little life and everyone who knows me should know that I am.

5 comments:

Chrispy Critter said...

Yippee! That is so exciting!!!

Bryan and Ellie said...

Congratulations Chapman family!

Good luck with everything.

Holly said...

Michelle, that's awesome!! Are they sure they didn't see TWO in there (J/K)!!

Tara said...

We are so excited for you guys. I'm glad we won't be the only family with 3 kids in town.

Jennie Z said...

CONGRATS!!!!! How exciting for you guys! Can't wait to hear the updates. Hope you don't get sick!!