Thursday, August 09, 2007

FRIENDS

Well it hasn't happened much in the last 5+ years, but tonight the stars and planets were aligned and I got together with Bryan and Jared for dinner and discussions in Park City. It was very enjoyable even if I know now not to talk up Guiliani or put down Obama. Politics aside, we had a very nice evening. It was one of those nights in Park City that really make me miss leaving in the Rocky Mountain west.

While I haven't done as good a job in keeping in touch with friends, I know that we will always have a connection. I think of the line at the end of Stand By Me when Richard Dreyfus is finishing typing up the story that has been related. I don't remember word for word what he says, but it is to the effect that "I had really good friends, do you ever have friends like those you had in youth?" That is how I feel. I was so lucky to have good friends through high school. And while life's changes have taken us separate ways, I believe that we all still consider each other friends. While that friendship has evolved over the years and while it will never be like it was in high school, I don't know that it is any less important in my life. While I have some nostalgia for the carefree days of high school friendship and more frequent interactions, it is still rewarding to interact and share my life with those who I love and call friend.

No comments: