Friday, August 03, 2007

Day 1 without Daddy


It is much different to be away from Daddy when we are the ones left at home rather than the ones traveling and surrounded by family. We took David to the airport about 24 hours ago, and this is how we've spent the last day without him:

- went out to dinner last night at Grace's favorite restaurant (NOT McDONALD'S) because, well, who's going to cook for the next 17 days?
no one around to request a home-made "something tasty."
Grace drank her clam chowder with a straw! The kid loves the stuff!

- went over to a pond made by a dam in the Assabet River to see some ducks. Harriet wanted me to let go of her so she could throw her body into the water after them. Grace waded, a little more cautiously, into the water to look at the fish and see the ducks up close.

- as we're driving home at 7:15 - on our way to watch the Simpsons at 7:30, Grace says "I am really starting to miss Daddy."

- came home to bathe kids separately - no one here to get Grace out of the tub while I put Hattie to bed

- went to bed at midnight in a large, empty, well, let's face it, comfy bed.

- woke up at 5:45 am to feed our dogs, (Harriet saw David's car in the driveway and said "da da!" and waved bye-bye.) then, go over to our friends', the Doty's to feed their dogs, and then drove to the barn at 7:20 with kids in tow to teach a riding lesson

- came home at 9am long enough to give Hattie a nap and do some stinky dishes (all glasses and cups!)

- went back to the Doty's for a doggie play-date with kids and dogs in tow. Dogs threw up in the back of the car - lovely.

- came home to clean dog vomit out of the car. When I ran out of paper towels and discovered a spare roll placed by my dear husband under the kitchen sink (instead of having to go to the basement for another), I had a true " 'Til Death" moment. If you watch that show - it's the toilet paper pyramid moment. David will know what I'm talking about. Ok - I miss you!

- now I'm blogging in mid-afternoon while Grace watches movies and Hattie sleeps - it's 95 degrees outside with lots of humidity. Not going anywhere else today - now, what's for dinner? I'm sure it won't be tasty.

I know I won't be blogging every day, but there's your first installment of how much we miss you babe.

No comments: