So, I took the Subaru on it's maiden voyage just a couple of days after we bought it. I mean, we couldn't have waited much longer for that car! We headed to Cedar City across the horrible back roads of Arizona. I will NEVER drive those again. The next time I go to Cedar, I will do so from Salt Lake on I-15. We met Jessica and my mom and Sloan and Lyla there for the 4th of July weekend!
We went to church at the Old Rock Church. Probably my favorite church ever.
I could not love this picture more.
Then, for the 4th, we headed to Main Street. I've said it before, but there is nothing more fun than the 4th of July in a small town. Cedar City knows how to put on a parade!
This little smoochy face...
Then, Jessica and my mom headed home and the girls and I stayed one more night and day so that we could have Grandma Primmer to ourselves! We took her to a movie and saw Finding Dory. Then, she was like showing us this "cool little new place behind the movie theater where you can rent boats" afterwards? I could not believe what she was actually showing us was a man-made lake, smack dab in the middle of Cedar City! We didn't think much of it at first, but then I was like - let's go check it out. We intended to just stay and swim for an hour or two, but then we saw the kayak rentals! It was like 10 bucks or something, so we called Grandma and told her we'd be a little later for dinner. Poor thing, she was probably starved by the time I got the girls to leave this place. They could have stayed forever and come back the next day too. They miss the beach so much and just love playing in water.
Harriet and I kayaked together, and Grace took her own out. I was impressed she did so well! It was kind of windy - I was afraid we'd get blown over, but we stayed upright and had a great time on the lake!
Thanks for all the fun, Grandma Primmer! The girls are still talking about how much they love Cedar and want to come back.Then, we kept driving on to Salt Lake for some more cousins. Kate and Harriet spent a week on the trampoline together trying to perfect their back handsprings.
Grace and Sean still played well, but you can tell there is starting to be a separation in their ages/generations. Grace becoming a teenager has definitely been a hard transition.
But, she'll still light-saber-fight anyone at dusk.
More fun days and nights in Lissy's yard... they are really outgrowing that Jeep! But they continue to add cousins to it and take everyone for rides around the Barnhisel resort.
Then, Aunt Jess took us swimming at her gym pool... uh... now I have gym pool envy!
Hers was like a Vegas resort.
Towards the end of the week in Salt Lake, we were able to find a buyer for the Pathfinder. It was a huge relief, but a very sad day for me. I really loved that car and it was chock full of so many family memories. We got almost 162,000 miles out of it. Owned it for 12 years. Paid $18,000 for it, and sold it for $4,000. You really can't complain about that. It kept us safe in a very dangerous accident the first year we had it. It took us on scores of outdoor adventures and long road trips, did all the household errands and took the kids to all their lessons. It brought our doggies safely across the country from MA to NM. I mean what else do you want out of a poor car?! (well, just a couple more years and about 8 more trips would have been nice without a new car payment, but...)
It was fun to have all the grandkids together to celebrate Mo-Deb's birthday.
Harriet was jealous of her pretty cake.
Then, true to form, we had some rocket days with Grandpa. He kept coming over and building more. Melissa was about to die. She gets a lot of anxiety about the rockets.
Harriet and Kate found Mo-Deb's dress up bin and took full advantage.
?Grace?
We took Grandma Curly (Pearlie) to lunch at Training Table. Little did we know this would be our last time eating there! They closed all their restaurants shortly after. We are so so sad. This is a Utah staple. What will we do without our cheese fries, dipping sauce, and giant gourmet burgers? Oh yeah, and ordering from the phone at the table?
Then, one boring afternoon at the end of the trip, we decided to get on our phones and see what this new "Pokemon Go" game was all about. It had been out a couple of days and Grace and Sean were dying to check it out. Once we figured out we'd have a lot more fun if we went someplace big, I loaded Grace and Sean in the car and we headed to the University of Utah campus to play. Every college student we passed was looking down at their phone. Sometimes they would look up and say "hey are you guys playing Pokemon?" Yep - everyone on campus was playing it! It was kind of cool to see the birth of a game like this. It is so different from other games and so interactive. I thought it was a cool idea that it gets you outside playing a video game.I think this was the first time I had really shown Grace around campus and the first time I had walked around in years. A lot has changed, but this place sure hasn't. I can't decide if I think fondly of HEB or if it still gives me nightmares. Mostly nightmares.
Thanks Salt Lake. You never disappoint. The kids love coming here and we'll be back!
Kitty was glad we came home.
When we got back, we redeemed Grandpa Earl's Father's Day gift which was a coupon for us to take him to the Unser Racing Museum. He had never been. I think he liked it quite a bit. We sure did!
They toasted s'mores.
And opened gifts.
Harriet made this frame for her.
And hugged a hundred times.
And hid in Harriet's room and played electronics.
And ate treats and watched a movie.
And zonked out together.
And it was THE saddest thing I've ever seen. Well, it may have rivaled the days the dogs died and that day we had to pick up Grace from her Valentine's Day party at school in Stow and carry her out of the school screaming and crying because we were moving, and that was the last time she would see her school and her friends. Oh, and Lexi had a birthday/going away party a few days after this where everyone had to tell her good-bye as they were picked up. We could not stop crying. I don't know how to compare, but it was definitely one of the saddest days of our lives. Harriet and Grace and I went over and helped Kristen clean her house after the movers left, but Lexi had already gone to camp. Harriet thought it was strange that she would be the last one in Lexi's room and not Lexi! I know friends come and go and people move in and out of your life, but some sting much more than others. Harriet has never had anyone like Alexis in her life before. She was such a perfect little friend. And, unfortunately, I have a sick habit of finding out how much I really like someone and getting close to my favorite people JUST before they or I move away. I have now added Kristen to this list.
This one is going to sting for a very long time.


No comments:
Post a Comment