Wednesday, July 20, 2016

September 2015

September was apparently kind of a blur.  I know I was working like crazy as a substitute teacher and the kids got busy in school and after-school activities quick.  I "think" these photos are from September.  I'm too tired to even check the time stamp, but trust me - they are from somewhere between August and October.
our second batch of froggies - getting their release party
Harriet on the monkey bars in the morning before school started.  She outgrew them this year (sniff.)
School picture day. I was pretty proud of the outfit and hairdo.
Pretend you're a pirate and get free donuts at Krispy Kreme day.  I hate the free stuff events, but for some reason, we can't resist this one. Argh. Probably because- donuts. and pirates.
random cat poster (guitar case - her favorite spot if she can weasel her way into one)
Okay, so one very cool thing about Grace's 7th grade year was that she joined the Tony Hillerman after school rock band.  She was lead guitarist.  So, every Thursday, she started taking her electric guitar and amp to school on the bus.  I would have driven her with them to school, but parent drop off is a super long downhill walk to the building and bus drop-off is right by the door, so it was actually easier to take the bus.  I was impressed with the chivalry of the boys at our bus stop.  Every single Thursday, one of them would carry Grace's amp onto the bus and help her get a spot and then help her get it all off the bus at school.  

Harriet's school had their annual Fall Festival.  Fun was had by all.
Harriet and Alexis had a grand time together,

And even I had some fun in September.  I have always wanted to have a telescope party and gather friends to look at something cool through our telescope.  On the night of the blood moon eclipse, we were able to set up on the corner of our street and watch the eclipse and photograph it through the telescope.  We had several neighbors over, as well as some friends stop by to take a peek.  I need to do things like this more often.
blood moon - full eclipse

Then... I even found some local concert buddies!  This most unlikely group of ladies, somehow, have similar tastes in live music.  Our first outing was to see Brandon Flowers (of the Killers) live at the Sunshine Theater on his solo tour.  Even though he didn't have the rest of the band with him, it was unreal to see him perform, especially someone of his caliber in a tiny tiny venue where he is only feet from any member of the small audience.  I love going to concerts and getting into new music.  I love The Killers, but I had never listened to Brandon's solo stuff.  I promptly bought both albums afterwards and lamented like a teenager that I hadn't had them sooner so that I knew the songs before seeing them live.
Me, Natalie, Tiffany, Krista, and Kellie in front of the marquee.  When we came out of the concert they had already changed it for the next show, so he wasn't on there anymore.
(Natalie casually informed us on the way to the concert that she had grown up with the Flowers family and was good friends with Brandon's sister.  They used to sit in his bedroom and listen to him play his guitar when they were kids.  Seriously?!  Mormon world is some small town!)

No comments: