Springfest cheer competition
Stryder turns one
End of school year
Iron Horse Bike Race in Durango
Springfest is the biggest cheer competition of the year. The coaches and girls had been working their pom poms off trying to improve upon their second place at the last competition. Coach Kristen really inspired them to buckle down, improve themselves, and be disciplined. They started working out at the gym outside of practice, and every time I turned around, Harriet was practicing something for it at home. These girls knew they wanted first place and they worked for it. And... they DID it! This was probably the most rewarding thing Harriet has ever done in her little life. She saw her hard work and dedication and team-work of her friends pay off in a big way. They were so sharp in their performance - every girl right on time and in sync with each other. They won first place in the cheer division and would have swept the awards if they hadn't been competing against dance teams for the overall title. (They were far better than the dance team that won, but the dance team rules leave more room for error and don't get as many points taken off for mistakes. ) Weird that they even compete with them anyway, but it didn't tarnish their cheer win. These girls were OVER THE MOON about their giant trophy AND their individual medals! At the last competition, the team won a trophy, but there was nothing for the girls to take home as a reminder of their 2nd place award. David and I are against "medals for participation" but when you WIN, you seriously need something to hang in your room! We were praying they would give the girls something and SO glad they did! Harriet has wanted a medal or a trophy pretty much her whole life. She has never received one. Grace has several. She could not have been more thrilled to put that medal around her neck and then hang it proudly in her room when she got home. Way to go, Firebirds!!! We are so incredibly proud of you.
Admiring each other's medals.
All of the girls with their trophy.
Happiest girl on Earth.
The girls and myself at the Natural History Museum. We literally got a "night at the museum" one night when we went for the grand re-opening of the planetarium and found ourselves alone in the darkened, but still open for members, museum. We were sure Stan, the T-Rex, would come to life at any moment.
Stryder dog. I didn't know if I would survive your puppy-hood, but we made it. You turned ONE! It was nearly as exciting as one of the kids reaching their first birthday. I was so happy we were both still alive. I took you on a hike on your birthday morning to the volcanoes. I am so grateful for you and all of the adventures and snuggles we've had together so far. Thanks for being my "bubber."
I also took you shopping at Petsmart. You totally chose this ball out of a bin for your gift and trotted to the cash register with it. Then, you destroyed it in less than 5 minutes.
And, since you look like you wear a grey tuxedo, I thought a bow-tie would look nice.
When the kids got home from all their activities, we had a birthday party for you.
Happy Birthday, Stryder pup!
Harriet's 3rd grade class picnic during the last week of school, with BFFs Ellie, and Paige in the background.
And, Grace had her final orchestra recital. (with friend, Keely, above)
I really had no idea that orchestra/cello playing would only last for one school year. She decided at the end of the year that even though she really loved her cello, she really didn't love the orchestra experience and has so many other things she wants to try in life. I was pretty surprised, but supported her decision to register for digital graphic design instead of orchestra for 7th grade. So, this concert was bittersweet. They had it in the middle school gym.
Then, more sleepovers. The guys were supposed to go to the father/child camp-out with the church, but the weather turned horrible, and David got home late, so we opted to have a sister sleep-over at our house. Kayla and Mylee came on over and we had a blast. No camping needed.
Then, Harriet did her field day at school. I wasn't assigned to her group as a helper, so I tried to snap some pics of her while I was at other stations. She rocked the drip-drip-drop (duck-duck-goose, with water.)
And, Harriet decided to hang up an instrument too. She has been really stressed this year with all of the homework she's had, plus practicing two instruments (guitar and piano) and trying to get better at cheer. It has really been a full schedule for her. She did a lot of soul searching and decided that guitar is Grace's passion, not hers. Even though she has loved taking lessons from DJ and she is fond of her little guitar, she made some grown-up decisions and decided to cut something from her life that wasn't helping her follow her dreams. She said she wasn't sad about not playing guitar anymore, only sad to leave DJ. I know she made the right decision, but I totally cried at her last lesson with DJ. He has been so great with her, so patient and kind, and has taught her so much. Good thing we can keep him in our lives still. I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but I started taking lessons from him earlier this year. I'm never going to be able to play like Grace, but I'm having fun learning and it's giving my brain something to focus on and it's good for me to have to learn something new.
Harriet's cheer team had a celebration swim party to end the year at Coach Kristen's gym. They ordered a pretty cake in their school colors:
And swam with their BFF's
And showed up in the same exact swimsuit (this is still considered a happy thing when you are 9. It only proves what great friends you are.)
Grace - last day of 6th Grade. No tears here.
Just checking off the awkward middle school years and rocking them to the best of our ability.
Last day of 3rd Grade. I ended up substitute teaching the last 3 days of school for a teacher (across the hall from Hattie's class) who dropped a table on her foot and couldn't come back. So, I was there for the last - everything, including the last recess.
The girls were still practicing their cheer drill-downs.
There were lots of tears at the elementary school though. I threatened Harriet's 3rd Grade teacher that we couldn't let ourselves cry. But, then, one of Grace's beloved teachers came to tell us all good-bye since she was moving away and got us all started. So, we just had a few ugly cries and got the heck out of there. Harriet has had the BEST school year EVER. We could not be more thankful for her 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Carr. She was an answer to so many prayers. Harriet went into 3rd grade an anxious mess with no friends, unsure of herself, smart, but unable to shine, barely speaking outside of our house, and making me come eat lunch with her at least once a week for reassurance. She came out of 3rd grade a confident, fun, smart, skilled, able student with so many skills and talents and friends. Look at her in that picture with her friends, calling out the drills. That is a child we have never known before. It was so bittersweet to leave that year behind and move forward.
Go H-A-T-T-I-E!
The grand friend-finale was Erin's birthday. She invited all the BFF's back to the paint place for one last art party. These girls are so good to each other. A lot of our tears at the end of the year were because we knew the group would break up a bit. Ellie would move to Oregon. Paige's family is still uncertain where they will need up. We weren't quite sure if cheer would return to the school... It's one of those moments you just want to freeze and let it last a lot longer than it can.
The last day of school, we packed up and headed to Durango. David rode the Iron Horse again and we met some friends up there. We only stayed one night, and didn't do a ton, so apparently, I've only got the one pic. We were introduced to Jared Garn's family and I got to hang out with his wife in downtown Durango while we waited for the guys to do their ride. This year, thankfully the weather held, and they were able to ride the whole thing to Silverton.
Harriet was thrilled to get to spend time with their 6 week old baby, Eden. Then, we all spent the afternoon at the aquatic center and headed home. Durango is always a fun town to visit and David always has fun on this ride.
And, I'm throwing in this picture because it makes me happy. For the last 3 or 4 years, the Tanner Family have lived down the street from us while Clint has been a medical resident. Andrea and I have been good friends and have gone on lots of walks together, out to lots of lunches, and to lots of book clubs. We've traded things from our pantries when we've had baking emergencies, and we even spent a Thanksgiving with them. They have 2 little girls who love to play with Harriet. Harriet has considered them her little sisters down the street. Even though she didn't get to do it often, she loved going down to get them and bring them to our house to play, especially to play in the water in our back-yard. The Tanners moved away this summer and asked if they could come and play one more time at our house before they left. Hattie was glad to go get them and spend some time with them. It makes me sad she doesn't have a little sibling. But, I know she'll make the best baby-sitter when she's older.















No comments:
Post a Comment