Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanks

I don't know what is wrong with me this year.  For the past few, I've done my daily thankful posts during the month of November.  I just realized I'm a good 13 days behind on counting my blessings.  I know, one should count her blessings much more often than every November, but it's nice to write them down once a year.

I guess it's better late than never, even if I don't do a daily post.  I'll try to work in the family photos too.

One thing I truly am thankful for is our local elementary school.  I know it's an emotionally charged subject around here - where you send your kids to school and why.  I would never begin to tell another parent what to do because I would be pretty mad if someone else tried to do that to me.  But, I'm thankful for public education and for living in a country where I don't have to choose which of my kids to send to school because our family might only be able to afford to educate one of them, or worse, neither of them.  Obviously, there is always room for improvement and the education system in this country is not perfect, but I still feel pretty lucky.  I'm so thankful that my girls have equal opportunity to learn and participate.  Their teachers are so dedicated and hard working.  The staff at school is so nice and they do so much to help families and accommodate parents.  I have really loved spending more time there this year getting to know the workings of the school and getting to know the local families better too.  There are some stellar people around here who are committed to raising a good bunch of kids.  It takes a village... and I'm grateful for my village.

So, on the subject of great things at school, here are a few pics of recent school stuff:

jog-a-thon:  kids were given 15 minutes to run laps around the soccer field to raise money for their school
 (one silly band per lap)
 Grace did 6 big kid laps


one very sweet and dedicated aide - she ran the laps with the kids to keep them going:

Orbit came from the Isotopes field to cheer them on:

 Harriet did 8 little kid laps (about 3/4 of a big kid lap)


They ran about the same distance... don't tell Grace.

Then, it was Harriet's turn to be student of the month.  She is, reportedly, a model student in every way.  She must use up ALL of her good mood, obedient manners, and helpful attitude at school, because she sure has her teachers fooled!  No, she really is a great student and we are super proud of her for how fast she is learning and for how well she has adjusted to her long days at kindergarten.  We just wish she'd bring her school behavior home with her sometimes.   Or, maybe we need her teachers to come home with her too!

Thank you, school!

No comments: