Wednesday, October 26, 2011

some pre-Halloween October memories

So, I was thinking lately about messing with memories.  A friend of mine says she "never goes back to places she has lived because it messes up her memories of being there as things aren't the same as when she lived there."  I'm afraid I am of another sort who obsesses with driving by houses I've lived in (when I get a chance to go back) to remember them more clearly, see how they have changed,  and other sorts of similar things.  Although, I do see her point.  Bringing up old memories and messing with them can be painful and sad sometimes.

So how does my friend's take on it apply to keeping memories by way of journaling and photos?  The journal and photos don't change with time (unlike your old house that now has a purple garage and weeds to the windows.)  However, are they the same as what you remember?  A lot of times, I find that they aren't.  Memory is funny that way.  Your brain does things with events that you don't realize until you go back and read something or see an old photo.  It can be jarring, especially when you start to really lose your memory as you get older.  I'm finding that not only are my own memories of my life getting fuzzy, but even things that have happened since Grace was born aren't that clear anymore.

This brings me to the blog.  If I didn't have my blog, I would have forgotten about at least half of this stuff. I want to be able to remember it later, and I want my kids to be able to remember it too.  I love going through my blog books from years past and reading what I wrote and seeing the clear pictures of things that are now fuzzy in my brain.  I don't know if it's damaging or helpful, but I like it; and I think it's important.

*************************

So... something I want my kids to remember that they did this month:  they came to the end of a long time of saving money for something they really wanted.  I don't really care that the blogging or online world knows about this, but if I don't put it here, in my blog, it might be forgotten eventually.

Nearly a year ago, Grace decided she wanted an iPod touch and Harriet decided she wanted a Nintendo 3DS system.  Both of these are fairly expensive electronic gadgets.  I don't personally own anything as nice as either gadget (let's not talk about David's collection.)  We don't spend that kind of money on individual presents.  So, we told the kids if they want something like that, they need to earn it.  (Grace DID earn and pay for her own Nintendo DSi when she was in kindergarten so we knew they could do it.)

The girls get allowance, and they saved it along with birthday and holiday money from grandparents all year.  They also earned extra portions by making much needed changes in behavior and being helpful.   I'm not above bribing if it means a good positive change in how our household runs.  The dollars finally added up to enough this month and they gave it to their dad in baggies as he ordered their new shiny gadgets.

I feel a little weird about it - that they have these new, super fancy toys, and it's not a holiday or a birthday; and Christmas is coming up soon.  But I keep having to remind myself - that was the whole point.  They aren't gifts (well, some of their money was a gift at some point), but mostly, they are something the kids have earned and patiently waited for.  I am pretty impressed with how patient they have been until they did finally have enough money saved.  Way to go girls!

***************************

And then... we really did give them a Christmas present.  (I know - insert photos of spoiled offspring here.) They have been lamenting and mourning the leaving of the playground we had at our old house.  Even nearly two years later, they still wish they had that old playhouse we had there.  Knowing that they have nearly outgrown such a thing, I knew I couldn't justify buying a new one; they are so expensive.  I've been looking on craigslist for a used replacement pretty much since we moved in.  Ironically, I found it last week, just as they had earned their gadgets.  I debated about whether to give it to them right away, as an early Christmas present, or try to hide it for 2 months and surprise them with it on Christmas.  After taking it apart, getting it in the car, driving it home, and cleaning it up, I decided I didn't want to deal with it on Christmas Eve - kind of a big job.  Plus, they might as well enjoy it while the weather is good this fall.   They run from the front door to the back door every single day after school and play until dinner.  So, Merry Christmas to Grace and Harriet for sure!

******************************

One more October memory... remember when we went to the air field at Daddy's work to see the cool airplanes?  THAT was pretty darn fun.

B2 Stealth Bomber - boy is this thing sneaky.  You could barely see it or hear it until it was about 100 yards away.  We were told it has the radar profile of a bumble bee?  These are your tax dollars hard at work folks.





checkin' out the cockpit of an F-16 with good friends Christian and Maren:

F-16 Thunderbird team:  There are 2 words to describe these guys - certifiably insane.


Maverick?  Goose?  (I know - as my marine friend reminded me - these are air force planes, not navy. still.  I had an involuntary reflex to want to go home and watch Top Gun.)



Well, October seems to be chuck full of activities and fun.  More posts to come.

No comments: