Saturday, March 05, 2011

Happy 8th Birthday my Grace!

Dear Grace,
I've got plenty of blog posts to do for your birthday this year.  We've already had our family party and hosted your school friends for some crazy fun, and then we've got your baptism coming up next week.  It's a big birthday to turn 8 years old.  It's a lot for a mommy to have a girl turn 8 years old too.  So, for today, I think I'll just write my traditional birthday letter.  I'll catch up on all the parties later.

I seem to use birthdays to reflect on all the things you're doing and how you are growing up.  I think you are such an incredible person.  I would say that even if I wasn't your mother.  I am so proud of how you have handled the last year with all the changes you've had to make.  Since we moved just a few days before your 7th birthday, this last year has been full of adjustments beyond the normal ones you have to make as you get to be one year older.  I know some things have been really hard for you, but you've been brave and have gotten through it.

These are some of the things I love about you:
*you are your own person - you rarely do anything just because someone else does it
*you are kind and friendly to practically everyone - I hope you always keep this quality
*you get excellent grades in school, but what really makes me proud is having your teacher tell me that you were the first one to jump up to help her when the books fell off the shelf and you are always willing to help a fellow student
*you love learning, in fact, you prefer learning outside of school more than inside school
*you read more non-fiction than fiction.  It cracks me up that when you have to do a book report, you can't answer the questions because few if any of the books you read that week even have characters or a story.
*you love your long gorgeous goldilocks hair, but you hate to get it cut, brushed, or even pulled back in a pony tail.
*you actually love your little sister, even if you don't want me to know it.
*you have not given up your intense love for tigers, foxes, wolves, dogs, and horses.  You are always kind to animals and can't get enough of learning about them, seeing them, watching them, and having stuffed versions of them.  When you go to college, you will be taking your incredibly overwhelming collection with you - but, maybe I'll let you keep a few at home to keep me company.
*you have taken up learning music and are getting pretty darn good at playing the guitar
*you continue to go to karate class even though it is very long, late at night, twice a week, and you put on sparring gear and get beat up more than you beat up anyone else.  I will never get used to watching people hit and kick my little girl, but I do it because I know you love it for some reason.  I love your fierce tiger face when you are doing your forms.
*you are thoroughly convinced that you are, in fact, a Jedi knight.  I don't know how I am so lucky to be the Mother of a true Jedi, but I know that The Force is strong with you, Grace.  I hope you always use your powers in The Force for the good of the Universe.

I hope you have had a really happy birthday today, and I can't wait for your special baptism next week.  I love you.
Love Always,
Mommy

1 comment:

Annelie said...

Beautiful letter, she is a great girl and I love reading about her.
Really sounds like a busy couple of weeks. It sounds like you've really made her 8th birthday a memorable one.
Say Happy Birthday to her from us.

Annelie