Call me crazy, but moving to the desert where it snows like a total of 1.5 inches a year, I thought we would be set. I guess I forgot the part where we live in a place that cold and snowy weather are not normal, so when it DOES happen, people are entirely unprepared and unaccustomed.
It DID snow, what, 3 days ago? The roads WERE icy for about a half a day. See the pretty snow on the mountains! David is excited since the ski season was looking pretty desperate last weekend:
But, it's Thursday afternoon and we haven't been to school, and lots of people haven't been to work since Monday! The Air Force Base has opened late and closed early. The museums (ie - indoor outing options for restless kids) have all been closed. All the kids lessons were canceled (except ballet on Wed am.) I think it was God's way of saying "stay inside w/your family for a few days and get to know them."
So, even though the snow hasn't really been an issue, it has been COLD - the coldest in half a century according to the news. It just doesn't get this cold in ABQ apparently, so houses aren't built with that in mind. Pipes are run on outer walls, sprinkling systems don't get turned off for the winter, and things just aren't insulated to withstand -9 temps with wind-chills in the -20's. And, apparently, school buses don't start, which is why school has been canceled. again.
Today, half of my friends in the neighborhood are without heat because either their heaters have broken, or because of rolling "blackouts" from the gas company - there's not enough natural gas to run this many furnaces 24/7! We also know several people with frozen and broken pipes. Nope, this sunny desert is not cut out for this weather.
So, what have we been doing for 3 days inside? Many playdates. We spent Tues and Wed inviting friends over to soften the sibling rivalry. But, by today, I was kind of play-dated-out. So, home together we are. I think it's kind of funny that Grace is so negative about going to school, but what does she do when she's home all day? Read, make about 18 giant drawings of planets and outer space, do science experiments, and make paper airplanes. Remind me which of those things you don't do at school?
The TV has hardly been on at all - maybe one movie and an hour of wii yesterday. (Oh, but I would really love to go sink down on the couch in front of the fire with my OWN movie...)
If you want a great website for super cool paper airplanes: www.amazingpaperairplanes.com
We've also been using The Dangerous Book for Boys and 175 Science Experiments to Amuse and Amaze Your Yriends.
School. Tomorrow. Please?

3 comments:
WOW! I think I might be a little peeved about missing school for THAT much snow! At least we have something to show for all our days of confinement -- piles and PILES of snow! :)
Did you get your snow blower out?
Yes, Julie, it's rather insulting... and we are having a 4th!!! snow day tomorrow because there is a natural gas shortage and not enough to run the schools. Melissa - we left the snow blower in Stow, Massachusetts. Thanks though - I almost broke my arm shoveling it. My neighbor used a leaf blower and just blew it off like a layer of dust.
Post a Comment