Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Vacation

Well, technically, it's not Christmas vacation yet, but we have already had our holiday visitors come and go.

My Mother AND my Grandmother came to my house! This was quite the treat for us. Grandma hasn't been on a trip like this in many years, and I still can't quite believe that she actually came this far to see me. Talk about over the river and through the woods. She took a shuttle for 4 hours from Cedar City, UT to Salt Lake, then she flew the RED-EYE with my mom to New York, took a commuter plane from New York to Boston, took a cab to the train station, and then the commuter rail train from Boston out to my neighborhood. Incredible. It makes me tired just thinking of it. I just put them back on the plane this morning and they haven't even left New York yet as I write this - still a long way from home.

I do know what a big deal it is to make that kind of effort to travel, and so her visit meant so much to us. The girls and I were absolutely spoiled the whole time they were here (I mean, come on - TWO Grandmas at the same time?!) They took us shopping, on outings, showered us with Christmas and gifts for my birthday. They helped us make Christmas cookies and a gingerbread house.

(Is there sugar in it? Then, YES!)

They even took me to see the New Moon movie. Seriously, I went out on Friday night with my mom and my grandma to a vampire romance movie!!! (they've both read the books too... crazy!)

We packed so much into 4 days that I can hardly remember what we did. I wish we had a little more down time to just hang out and play, but it felt so wasteful to sit around when my grandma hadn't ever seen this part of the country and when there were so many fun things to go and do. We did our best to get her around to a few places in the freezing cold.

I think my top 3 favorites had to be:
1- visiting Orchard House (again) with the women who taught me the same life lessons that were taught in the Alcott house (and the little women who need to learn them.)2- taking my grandma to see The Nutcracker ballet, for the first time in her life. It was also Hattie's first time.(four generations of Heyborne family girls)
(two little Christmas angels)
3- sitting around sipping orange tea and nibbling on Christmas cookies late at night after the kids went to bed. This (sipping tea and chatting) is something my mom and I always do whenever we stay with each other. It's something I definitely miss when she leaves.
(then, we'll snuggle...)
I loved listening to Hattie and Grace talk to their grandmas. They were so happy to have them here. There's so much that you just can't duplicate in a phone call or over a skype chat. You just have to visit people in person, and I'm super glad to have had a visit. Thanks Mom and Grandma!!! Miss you already.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm so happy for you that you had this fun experience! There is something so special about people coming to stay...it is so rare for us---so we cherish it all the more!

What a great time!

Julie said...

I'm so glad your mom and grandma came to visit! That just makes me happy to think that you and your girls got to do all those fun things with them.

It looks like you had a really great time - and Grace and Hattie look so cute in their dresses!

(I LOVE those girls! :)

Barnhisel Blog said...

Love the photos. Looks like you all had so much fun. Wish I could have joined the party.