Wednesday, September 16, 2009

mercury FALLing

As I watch the outside temperature start to fall, I get this sinking dread, fear, and well, allergic reaction, to the thought of another winter coming. For most New Englanders, the fall season is the very best one. It is when we get a little bit of dry weather, crisp air, and the bugs die down and the gorgeous colors come out. Still, I know all those dying trees are going to need to be raked up soon and that heavy, thick, long, wet winter will be upon us. I do like the first day you have to put a sweater on, and I like the first snow fall, but after that, I have no use for fall or winter.

So, for this post, I think I'm going to put some of my favorite New England moments from the past "warm" season. Maybe it will help me remember that New England has some great things as I curse it for its weather. (hopefully pictures that haven't already been posted on the blog):

Grace and Hattie running through a fountain in downtown Boston:
Strawberry picking at Shelburne Farm:
Attending a lecture by local author, Julie Berry, at the School of Philosophy at Orchard House (the school was originally built and used by Louisa May Alcott's father, Bronson Alcott, and lectures were given there by Emerson, Thoreau, etc. It was SUCH a cool place to be and to sit and listen and learn where some of the greatest thinkers and writers from this area once did.)Eating ice cream ANYTIME at Erikson's Dairy:
Fun moments at the barn with Tink:
Watching Hattie and Grace run up and down the hill at NARA park on the 4th of July:
ANY moment at Cape Cod:Getting to play soccer with Grace in a parent/child game on Grace's last day of soccer camp. Any peaceful moment out on our river, the Assabet:Finally getting to see the INSIDE of Orchard House (I am utterly fascinated with the book Little Women, the Alcotts, and all that they did to raise educated daughters and an enlightened family.):This isn't MY moment, but I know David loved waking up to this view with Grace next to him on his first daddy/daughter camp-out : our first experience at a local ducky race (this one was at the grist mill near Longfellow's Wayside Inn):
(even though this little guy didn't have our number, he was the one we picked to root for... he didn't win... neither did the ducks with our numbers...)
(can you see the duckies coming over the waterfall?)

Apple picking at Shelburne Farm with Aydan and Bret (ok - this is supposed to be a fall activity, but last year we waited too long and weren't able to go at all. Grace has never gotten over it, so I wanted to be sure to fit this activity in before the season got away from us. Fall weather, and the virus season is just too unpredictable!)
(Hattie enjoying fresh apple cider just after eating a sugar-coated cider donut)

5 comments:

Shawn said...

Lovely memories, and lovely photos! I think that when you are in the desert, you WILL miss the beauty of the trees sometimes!! :)

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

These are amazing photos!!!! I can't believe you went to a lecture at the Allcott house thingy!! We are obsessed with little Women too. It's amazing. These photos were incredible. Were those whales?? I suddenly feel like I have so much I want to talk about. I haven't read your blog in ages. I love New England!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Louisa May's house was my fav. thing we saw last time we were in Boston. John Adams' crypt was a close second. I miss you! I want to go on all these fun adventures with you.

Julie said...

I LOVE your pictures of the fun things to do in New England - lots of my favorite things too.

I have to agree with you on the winter thing though - definitely NOT on the list!

k and j said...

What wonderful pictures! Some great experiences in New England. Don't you want to live here forever? (ha!)