I RODE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE JANUARY 1, 2008!!! I think this is the longest time I have gone with out riding in my whole life (maybe even counting the pregnant/newborn baby years - I did ride up to about 4 months prego...)
We had a huge snowstorm yesterday that closed schools, businesses, and just about everything else. Still, being the Utah natives that we are, we went out to dinner for a late birthday party for me. We were nearly the only ones in what is usually a very popular restaurant. It was great! We were the only ones on the roads except the snow plows.Then, due to the storm, none of the usual riding instructors were able to get to the barn this morning. So, it was all me. How do you teach huge classes of kids all at once in a foot of snow? You take them on a trail ride! And, I got to ride with them myself! Usually, when I take kids on trail rides, I walk alongside them in case of emergency, but this group was pretty self-sufficient, so I rode. It was a GLORIOUS winter wonderland. We were sure we had stepped through the wardrobe doors into Narnia as we stepped onto the fresh, untrodden white powder, and brushed past all the low hanging trees filled with snow.
I rode the cutest little mare named Dori. I've never ridden her before. She's really young, but she was a blast in the snow. She's got 4 wheel drive, well 4 leg drive, for sure. It was like driving my pathfinder through a snowbank, which is something I also got to do today.
There is nothing like riding, for me, that clears my head, boosts my spirit, and makes me feel alive. This was a long-awaited treat.
I wish I could say I was this positive ALL morning. But, after completely soaking myself with snow on the first ride, going out on the second and starting out as a wet popsicle made it not so fun. I was frozen stiff by the time we got back from the last ride. Frozen in both temperature, and stiff muscles. Oh, I forgot, you have to use muscles that aren't used for ANYTHING else when you ride, and those haven't been used in almost a year. We'll see if I can manage walking into church tomorrow.
Still, a beautiful start to winter.
I have another reason to celebrate today. (Barbara, you should sit down for this one. I'd hate for you to hurt yourself when you pass out with shock.) I FINISHED HATTIE'S CHRISTMAS STOCKING!!!!!
For Hattie's first Christmas in 2006, I bought a beautiful little white baby stocking. I lost it in the mall before I could get it home. Then, I bought a not-so-cute "baby's first Christmas" stocking from Sears in desperation. She used that one again for her SECOND Christmas in 2007. I kept working! (WHY???? I DON'T KNOW!!!) Luckily, I had started at the bottom so that one of the last things I did was put the name on it :-)
On December 18th, 2008, Harriet hung up her very own Christmas stocking next to Grace's.
I have more awe for Barbara than ever before. We have multiple stitching projects hanging up in our house that she has done. They are amazing. She is a better woman than I. Still, I am basking in the glory.

2 comments:
Crazy mama, your child was born in 2003 not 2005- Time flies when you're busy with kidos. The stocking is amazing. I let pottery barn take care of grueling tasks like that!
Love ya! Merry Christmas! Miss you!
Melissa
Good work!!!
Post a Comment