Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The 4th

Ok, before I get to the many layers of our big trip west, I want to share a bit about the 4th of July. The holiday landed just about a day before we got on the plane to Utah. We debated about which state we wanted to be in to celebrate and decided on MA in the end.The 4th has always been one of my favorite holidays. It was a holiday that my dad made really fun. When we were little, we used to go to the "big" parade on Main St. in Lander, WY. Melissa and I even rode our little horse in it one year. We have lots of memories of out-of-control home fireworks shows, watching the fireworks at the Cottonwood Club across the street after we moved to SLC, bbq's with crazy uncles and lots of cousins, and wearing jeans and cowboy boots (no matter how hot the weather). I still have the urge to put on my ultra cool cowboy boots for the 4th, but quite frankly, I'd look like an idiot here where it is so humid and maybe every millionth person might own a pair.
Since fireworks (even sparklers!) are illegal here, we can't pyro it up in our own driveway (I'm the pyro in the family - not David!), so we seek out the bigger shows. There is a fantastic, actually, the best fireworks show I have ever seen in a nearby town. We have gone 3 times now. We skipped last year for various reasons and Grace didn't forgive us for literally the entire year. She also loves the 4th of July and couldn't wait to go this year.
I've decided that the 4th is ALWAYS a little on the warm side and VERY humid in these parts. Grace's hair is always at its curliest during this season. Hattie's ringlets couldn't get any tighter either. I'm in love with the soft curls of their hair having spent most of my life trying to get mine into some sort of curl. I couldn't resist taking pictures of their hair while we were sitting around waiting for it to get dark.
Oh, and this picture does not do that piece of meat justice. David bought what was seriously a turkey leg the size of my thigh to eat for dinner at the park.
Nothing too amazing to say, just had a great night...

1 comment:

Jennie Z said...

Love the curly hair. Hate all of this humidity too. It makes you really miss the west. Looking at David eating somehow reminded me of the backyard BBQ's in South Salt Lake and what a master David was with the meat. Hope you are still grilling maniacs!