Grace had her big stage debut Friday night. She and her friends from dance class performed a tap dance number to the song "Frosty the Snowman" at the local junior high school auditorium. She is in a class that does both ballet and tap, but since they have only been dancing for 4 months, they chose one medium for the first recital. She will do a ballet and a tap number at the big spring recital.
I have to say I am not a good stage mom. I get way too frazzled about things and there is so much to do and worry about and remember to bring. We wish that Aunt Em would have been able to come and be our make up artist! I haven't applied (or owned) blue eyeshadow since 1988, nor black eyeliner for that matter, but we did get it put on and even had the best rosy cheeks because I found this really cool lipstick wand thingy at the drugstore.
After much preparation, practice, and primping, Grace proudly went onstage first to do a dress rehearsal and then to do the real thing. Her dance partner got scared and decided to sit down on the stage for the first half of the song. They were supposed to clap hands together, but Grace was a trooper and just pretended that her partner was participating. She was a great actress and just went with the flow. She was also very serious in trying to remember her steps. Her dance teacher (also the studio owner) was in front of the stage helping them along and Grace was sternly focused on her to make sure she was doing the right things. No fake smile for her... she was too busy concentrating, but the smile after she was done was completely genuine and she was so proud of herself. We are so proud of her too. I really couldn't believe that she was so fearless about the stage and so intense about her dance steps. Also, for a kid who won't have her hair done to save her life, she was surprisingly excited about having her hair and makeup done (and her make up refreshed many times) for the performance.
As tradition stands, it is proper to give a dancer some flowers after they perform. Many kids were getting them at the recital, but we had left ours in the car so that we could give them to her later. She was SOOO excited to receive 3 little pink roses as a tribute to her performance. She wants to keep them forever, so they are now drying in her bedroom.
I am just so excited to have a little girl who I can do these kinds of things with and who is so beautiful and smart and talented and kind. (Sorry folks - I have to brag here...) She is so amazing and teaches me so many things about how you should be and how you should look at life. Gracie - you are my star.

No comments:
Post a Comment